2.17.2006

Heart(less?)land

BRRR! The temperatures have been unforgiving across Nebraska and into Iowa today. I was prepared to face dog-walking obstacles like lack of time or scenic places. But, being a cold-weather fan, I never imagined we'd be limited by the temperatures. But so it was. After only a half hour or so in Nebraska's Gallagher Canyon State Recreation Area, my toes were too numb to continue walking. I'm more convinced than ever that Moxie is part winter breed (malamute? samoyed?), though, because she seems wholly unfazed by the arctic chill.
Tomorrow we'll head for the outskirts of Chicago in plenty of time to meet friends there Sunday. I'm thrilled to be making such good time. The sooner we get off the Interstate, the better! Today the Burger King we stopped at was out of veggie burgers and the Subway didn't even stock them. What's a veggie girl to eat, anyway? Tips on road-food would be much appreciated! I can only eat so many Luna/Balance/Clif bars...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicago! Wow I'm super jealous. Take pictures (especially if you come accross a place called the steppenwolf theater)!!! Love you. Hope your journey begins soon.
SG

18:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when you say "arctic chill," what exactly do you mean? Is that, like, 60 degrees? 50? We Southern Californians (Kula and I) have difficulty gauging (anything sub-50 is polar to us!). Everything's relative, right?

By the way, your cowboy boots are so much cooler than pink Uggs (the fashion staple for our polar temperatures here).

Happy trails.

15:04  
Blogger Butterflyby said...

SG, I didn't make it to Steppenwolf... but I did read about it in my guidebook! (Does that count?)

eee, we're talking temperatures hovering around 0F with windchills dipping below -20! You so-cal kids would have needed to layer those Uggs over cowyboy boots to have a chance at survival ;-) (Now THERE's a new look...)

21:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home