4.02.2006

Tallahassee Lassie

They'd told me their neighborhood in Tallahassee was rural, but I didn't really believe it. Sure enough, the two days Moxie and I spent with family there were like a country retreat. We walked among horses on a dirt road and drove many miles over winding numbered roads.

While Moxie napped yesterday, B took me to Wakulla Springs State Park, where I saw my first real-life alligators. The park sits over a deep freshwater spring that we were lucky enough to view from above through the floor of a glass-bottomed boat. But in spite of the catfish meandering peacefully about underwater, I can't shake my angst about the 'gators languishing at the surface. Thank goodness Moxie was safely sleeping at the house! (Puppies are reputed to be an alligator's favorite snack.)



Tonight we're planning our next moves from Destin, on Florida's Gulf Coast. It's looking like campsites will be hard to come by as we inch west along the water due to the lingering devastation from recent hurricanes. We may move quickly if we can't camp, arriving in Texas before week's end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home